MAXIMIZING YOUR RIGHTS TO COMPENSATION WITH A WORKERS’ COMPENSATION ATTORNEY IN NJ: WHY YOU NEED A LAWYER TO GET A FAIR WORKERS’ COMP SETTLEMENT
Most people have heard of workers’ compensation, but very few people know how it works or what it is until they are injured at work. When this happens, what comes next is often a whirlwind of filling out paperwork, attending doctor appointments, and working with a claims adjuster. Most employers and adjusters do not tell you that you need a lawyer during this process because you do not. There is no requirement to have a lawyer help you through the process to get a workers’ compensation settlement, despite the complexity of a WC claim. However, our workers’ compensation attorneys know that it can be a huge mistake not to have a lawyer on your side when filing a claim.
This is because:
- You are injured and often not able to properly focus on accurately completing a claim.
- Adjusters are trained to minimize or undervalue your injuries, claim, bills, wages, and other aspects of your case.
- Physicians hired by WC to evaluate you are paid for by WC and usually have a long-standing relationship with the carrier, meaning you are not getting a truly independent evaluator.
- Housing, utility, car, food, and other bills will continue to accumulate, making low offers seem more appetizing.
- Untimely claims, appeals, or submissions could bar your entitlement to WC benefits.
- Mistakes in filing, providing proof, or explaining your injuries or disability could hurt your claim and be difficult if not impossible to reverse, and
- Unfortunately, adjusters and physicians take unrepresented claimants less seriously than those represented by a lawyer.
Work-Related Injuries Are a National Problem
No one plans to be injured in a workplace accident, but unfortunately, work-related injuries and illness often occur. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are approximately 3.5 million recorded cases of nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses each year in the United States. This is a staggering number highlighting how serious this problem is in the U.S. Not only are these 3.5 million people hurt, but there are also countless other family members and dependents who are relying on these injured workers who support them.
When You Should Hire a Workers’ Comp Attorney
While many individuals try to submit WC claims by themselves, there are some types of cases where individuals should contact an experienced workers’ comp attorney to help them. Some of the most common reasons why to hire a workers’ comp lawyer in New Jersey include the following:
- Your injuries are severe, require surgery, and will result in a prolonged absence from work
- Your injuries will not return you back to normal, meaning you will have some level of permanent disability
- You are unable to work in the same job as you did before your injuries
- You are unable to work any job after your injuries
- You had pre-existing injuries, illnesses, or disabilities, but they did not stop you from working
- Your injuries or illness makes it difficult for you to focus, understand, or otherwise submit a WC claim
- Your application was denied
- Your employer did not have WC insurance
- Your employer disputes that your claim occurred at work or that it was work-related
- A third-party may have caused or contributed to your injuries
- You are not receiving the correct amount of benefits, or you believe your payments are off
- You have been offered a “lump sum settlement offer” and are unsure you should accept it
- You previously settled, but you have discovered new injuries or do not believe your prior settlement was fair
- Your case was dismissed
- Your benefit amount is lower and does not cover your medical bills, lost wages, or other costs of living expenses
- You are unsure how to handle a WC claim and want help.
WORKERS HURT IN THE GARDEN STATE SHOULD CALL OUR WORK INJURY LAWYER IN NJ FOR HELP
Whether you are a seasonal employee, part-time worker, temporary employee, or full-timer, anyone who suffers a work-related injury or illness may be entitled to file a workers’ compensation claim. Although you do not need a lawyer, the best way to maximize your disability level and WC benefits is to have a lawyer on your side. The Law Offices of Craig A. Altman can help claimants and their families secure the WC benefits that they are entitled to under the law to ensure they can financially recover from an unfortunate accident or unexpected illness caused by a workplace.